Thursday, May 28, 2020

HammerHack: OD&D/Chainmail inspired Warhammer Fantasy Battles

David Gallagher
It's been some time since I've posted but I haven't been idle! So yes, what is HammerHack? This is an attempt for me to hack together a system to scratch a particular itch that I have. To explain, I’m quite a big OD&D fan. I love the history and the almost Promethean nature of the original game. I love how the system almost disappears in play. One of the more interesting aspects of it is Chainmail and the modern push (it’s my understanding that it was never played this way originally) to incorporate and use it in-game. The push that follows a completely different mindset and would let tables smoothly transition from tense duels, battling fantastic foes, and battles with hundreds of participants all using unified systems. 

Psionic Blast From The Past was a huge inspiration in this regard. Their posts on Chainmail and how it can simplify and diversify 0e conflicts are amazing stuff. Go check them out! 

One of my favorites, but doesn't hit my goals here.
I tried one such OD&D/Chainmail combo and very much enjoyed it. I immediately wanted to apply the concept to another game that has its roots in wargaming: Warhammer Fantasy Battles! WFRP is all well and good (and 1e will always have a place in my heart and shelf), but aspects of the game always left me wanting. The magic system was always a tad wonky, the combat could be whiffed for days, and the rules are a bit dense for my liking. Even the new game, with excellent art, atmosphere, and rules is a bit much for me. It’s good for a “piss and shit” type game where you’re ok with the system hating the players, but I wanted to capture some of the outrageous and truly exaggerated scale of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. 

Art by John Blanche
So, much like OD&D emerging from Chainmail’s concepts and mechanics, I’m taking WFB and making it my mechanical base. From there I’m adding some bits on characters, progression, adjudicating rolls, and a small variety of the more “lite” OSR rules/mechanics that I think can go big (for example, Into the Odd has rules on enterprises which are just a paragraph but can cover anything from cults to business to guilds and more).

Fortunately, Mordheim exists, as does WFB 1e. Mordheim in particular is a scaled-down and more individual-focused take on WFB’s mechanics. I think that it’s a good final piece for my “RPG based on Warhammer using only d6 scaling combat” puzzle.

The setting of Mordheim also makes for an interesting testbed and proof-of-concept with groups of adventurers exploring a hostile environment, gaining treasure, recruiting followers, and contending in conflicts of escalating scale and stakes

The non-focused version of this will be HammerHack, but for now, it’ll be called The City of the Damned. Check out my thought stew below. 

Click the art for the link to the rules!

7 comments:

  1. Saw you linked to my blogpost. First, thank you. Secondly, that's a good thing because I'm interested in your stuff now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm tempted to take a look at Warhammer Mass Combat FRP from 1983, which is also a weird rpg-wargame hybrid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an older post but I love this and have been looking at incorporating it into my own hack. One thing I noticed however is this text under the core rules;
    "If the risk of an action is reduced due to the character’s skills, preparation, or situational factors, the GM may grant +1 or more to the roll. If factors increase the risk, the GM may impose a -1 or less to the roll."
    Unless I'm missing something obvious, this should be reversed as it's a roll-under system, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest! I've been revisiting this just this last week. I think I have a pretty neat setup cooked up that addresses some of the quirks I had in the above attempt. It's simple skirmish WFB with careers from WFRP and advancement from Mordheim. Neat little mix, I think!

      Good catch on that, however! It should either be reversed or, if you'd like to keep positive bonuses being good you could add it to the characteristic rather than the roll.

      Delete
    2. I like modifying the stat rather than the roll, as it facilitates keeping the die result as the 'strength' of the result, a sort of 'roll high under your (modified) stat' kind of deal.
      Will be keeping an eye out for whatever you're cooking up!

      Delete
  4. I’m in love with City of the Damned, it’s such a neat idea. I stumbled upon this because I’ve been looking at incorporating Chainmail into OD&D, and eventually through reading your great blog saw this too! As an aside, what is the Robber Knight career based off of because I think it’s such a neat archetype to incorporate, and I’m looking for further inspiration while painting up a spare knight mini that follows that theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest! I believe the "robber knight" was based off of the Freelancer is the Mordheim book if you have it. The excerpt is:

      "Just as warriors of the lower social order can become mercenaries, squires, or nobles may offer their skills for hire by becoming a freelancer or 'robber knight'. Freelancers are often the younger sons of nobles, who have inherited little but their weapons, horse, and armour. Having become disillusioned with their lot in life they have taken the only road available to them: that of a Hired Sword.

      Financial considerations take precedence over the dictates of honour and chivalry. Many Freelancers have drifted to the shanty towns surrounding Mordhiem, and offer their considerable strength to the highest bidders."

      Delete